Friday, February 10, 2012

Shall we dance?


God lifts us up.

God heals.

God restores.

Look at Naaman in 2 Kings 5.  He gets angry because God is not doing more for him.  For not doing what Naaman expects him to do. This great warrior is used to telling people what to do and have them do it.  It seems he expects the same of God.  He says, “I thought for me he would …” come right to me, do all the work, and I would be healed.

Don’t we hear ourselves say that at times?

God has already made the choice to heal us just as Jesus chooses to heal the leper in Mark 1.40-45.  .   

God has already healed us.  

God has already reached out to us.   

God has chosen us.  

God keeps reaching out to us.   

God keeps choosing us.

It is we that push God away.  It is we that put conditions on God, on God’s action in our lives and in our world.

God chooses us!  That is astounding and humbling and EPIC (my new word for the week).

God chooses to heal us.  To turn our wailing into dancing as David so eloquently writes.

That is good news isn’t it?

God chooses to heal us.  We only need to say yes. 

Can we remember again that God is good?   

God is able? 

God is real? 

And that God is generous?

Can we be less like Naaman… “I thought God would…”

Can we put God first?  Make God the priority rather than put conditions on how we meet God?

Can we make  time for God out of love rather than duty?

Can we dance more?  Wail less?

Can David’s words in Psalm 30 become our prayer?

I will exalt you, O LORD,
because you have lifted me up *
and have not let my enemies triumph over me.
O LORD my God, I cried out to you, *
and you restored me to health.
You brought me up, O LORD, from the dead; *
you restored my life as I was going down to the grave.
Sing to the LORD, you servants of his; *
give thanks for the remembrance of his holiness.
For his wrath endures but the twinkling of an eye, *
his favor for a lifetime.
Weeping may spend the night, *
but joy comes in the morning.
While I felt secure, I said,
"I shall never be disturbed. *
You, LORD, with your favor, made me as strong as the mountains."
Then you hid your face, *
and I was filled with fear.
I cried to you, O LORD; *
I pleaded with the Lord, saying,
"What profit is there in my blood, if I go down to the Pit?
will the dust praise you or declare your faithfulness?
Hear, O LORD, and have mercy upon me; *
O LORD, be my helper."
You have turned my wailing into dancing; *
you have put off my sack-cloth and clothed me with joy.
Therefore my heart sings to you without ceasing; *
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks for ever.

Can we remember God chooses us?

Thanks be to God!

1 comment:

  1. Sí, Él es quien toma la iniciativa, Él nos amó primero.

    ReplyDelete