Wednesday, May 30, 2012

resting



as i tried to catch a picture of joshua brayden beast napping i was struck by how hard it is to be still, to rest, to re-create.


this week is one away from "work" yet how does one rest?  i could blame it on being in a small town and running into people when i am grocery shopping, getting gas, going to the drug store.  i could blame it on seeing people in need and knowing i am to reach out.  i could blame it on the fact i am on stay-cation rather than out of town.  wow, i could even blame it on my vocation.


the reality is just like my silly dog, i don't rest well.  an empty calendar feels, well "empty."  surely there is a task to do, an errand to run...and there are, yet this time is one to be refreshed not filled with "stuff."


the Sabbath is not something to rush toward and then collapse.  it is meant to renew and refill one, to provide a break that allows new energy, a refocused purpose, and a re-connection with the creator of the Sabbath .  


i've learned that i need that time or i will keep rushing, keep doing, keep, keep, keep...until i am a frazzled mess capable of doing nothing.  like my silly dog i rush to open my eyes and move rather than just being in the "emptiness" of time away...


God gently taps me on the shoulder and reminds me that rest, like all things, means letting go and giving control back to God...luckily there is patience with my learning curve and the moments of being still are slowly increasing.


waiting to catch joshua brayden beast's eyes closed for a picture i realize he is afraid of missing something...and i learn another lesson.


Be still, and know that I am God!
Psalm 46.10







3 comments:

  1. Julie, your writings always pithy, give me pause. Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pithy? i love pithy virginia ;s. thank you for reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great post and great picture of joshua brayden beast. If I don;t slow down I don't process, and life becomes existence without thought. Thanks for the reminder. Thanks for this beautiful blog :-)
    Hugs from Astorga

    ReplyDelete